Skip to Content
Features

Shingo Kunieda is Passing the Baton

When he’s not busy hanging out with Demon Slayer, the Japanese legend is mentoring the next generation of wheelchair athletes

PARIS, FRANCE – JUNE 04: Shingo Kunieda of Japan plays a backhand against Gustavo Fernandez of Argentina during the Men’s Wheelchair Singles final match on Day 14 of The 2022 French Open at Roland Garros on June 04, 2022 in Paris, France. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

Shingo Kunieda’s athletic career saw him winning 28 grand slam singles titles and a handful of Paralympic Gold Medals, but perhaps the legacy he’s most proud of is the major shift in perception and growth of audience for the sport he helped put on the map: Wheelchair tennis.

One year after he retired from pro tennis, Racquet caught up with him on his first trip to New York as a tourist—before this year he’d only come to the city to play in the US Open—as he was being honored at the annual Japan Day parade, for which he served as Grand Marshall. In case you’re wondering, yes, that is him flanked by the cast of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba at New York’s 2024 Japan Day Parade.

101_2070photoALAN McIntyre
Photo by: Alan McIntyre

“Life after retirement is longer than my career, so to find something to strive for was my goal for last year,” he said “So now I’m here teaching at the USTA teaching wheelchair players and working on my English.”

The US Paralympic Committee and NCAA created a Para-Inclusion project in 2021, giving rise to adaptive collegiate athletic programs across the US, and in 2022, the US Open was the first slam to offer wheelchair juniors, creating a massive shift in both participation and spectatorship for the sport.

Since he turned pro in 2005, Kunieda has witnessed a sea change in the sport’s popularity.


“In my generation, about 20 years ago, there were very few players, and now because ofthe growth of the sport—especially in the US—the player field is bigger and stronger than it has ever been, it’s exciting for me to be a part of that,” he said. “It was exciting to see Jannik Sinner try out the sport at the Miami Open earlier this year, and it is all great promotion of the sport.”

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Racquet

Portofino or Bust

Sease, with a little help from Feliciano Lopez, takes over the Italian Riviera.

April 1, 2025

Is Men’s Tennis in Crisis?

Petko joins Rennae on the pod to recap an eventful Sunshine Double, where Aryna Sabalenka and the women are more than making up for the existential dilemma facing men's tennis as the stars continue to fade and the new faces falter. Plus: A daring new t-shirt design inspired by the legend herself, Serena.

March 31, 2025

PTPA Lawsuit, Miami’s Fresh Faces & More

Rennae and Caitlin attempt to break down the well-intentioned? Ill-intentioned? obvious yet nonsensical? PTPA lawsuit filed against both tours as well as clear up the rules about acute injuries, discuss the Raducanussaince and give some deserved guff to the tournament organizers.

March 28, 2025

Asmara Open: Postcard from the Philippines

A vacation turned one aspiring player into a tournament volunteer in the Philippines.

March 28, 2025

Seen Around Miami Open Grounds

Alexander Aguiar is a photographer based in Miami who is capturing scenes and matches around the second half of the Sunshine Double for Racquet. His impressionistic photography captures the heavy conditions in South Florida as well as the brightest stars on both tours.

March 22, 2025
See all posts